Annapurna Base Camp is referred to as Annapurna Sanctuary. Annapurna Base Camp is the most popular trekking destination which is located in the Annapurna region of North Western Nepal. It’s found in the heart of the Annapurna Conservation Area, west of Pokhara. A short journey to Base Camp Annapurna offers impressive views, including the first mountain to climb over 8000 meters and its surrounding range.
During the Annapurna Base Camp trek, one visits the Annapurna Sanctuary, which is situated amidst the Annapurna peaks and is easily accessible after a five-day trek. The protected area of Annapurna is considered an excellent option for hiking. Also, the diversity of Nepalese countryside can be experienced while trekking. This area comprises various landscapes. In this way, one day we walk in a beautiful green forest and after some days walk among the peaks of snowy mountains.
Maximum altitude – 4,130 m
Trekking Grade – Easy to Moderate
Duration – 12 days
Total Trekking Distance – 115km
Transport – Kathmandu – Pokhara – Kathmandu luxury tourist vehicle or flight and Pokhara – Nayapul – Pokhara jeep transport
Best time to trek Annapurna Base Camp
All these seasons spring, summer, monsoon, autumn, late autumn or pre-winter, and winter spring (March-May) and autumn (September-November) are considered to be the most suitable seasons for trekking around Nepal. Hence autumn and spring season is the best season for Annapurna region trek as the weather conditions are very suitable for trekking. The sky is generally clear in this season hence the views of the mountains are spectacular. Summer and winter are not the ideal time for trekking but one can trek Annapurna Base Camp at any time of the year at their own risk.
During monsoon, the trail normally becomes wet, muddy, slippery and a rough route with frequent rainfall. Views of mountains and landscapes are less fair than in autumn and spring. But if one tries trekking during monsoon then it is full of glory, gloomy, mischievous sky, different size of clouds over big mountains, lush green forests, rivers and many waterfalls along the way. This trekking provides a new and thrilling experience for the trekkers. Also, during these seasons the crowd is less and hotels and lodges are also easily available.
- Keep your body hydrated while trekking, drink no more than 4L of water per day.
- After taking a daily walk, you should take plenty of rest.
- One should eat enough food while trekking.
- Wear enough on trekking and keep your body warm at all times.
- The trek should be climbed slowly and adapt your body as needed.
- One should do some short walks and walk for about 6-8 hours a day both uphill and downhill.
- If exercise is not a habit, then the habit of exercising should be resumed at least one month before trekking.
- Running, doing yoga, cycling and some other cardio exercises increase stamina which helps while trekking.
- Try some yoga moves that help with direct breathing and keep your body hydrated even before the trek.
Permit and Entry Fee
The government and local bodies charge some fee for the development, protection and security of this conservation area. Since Annapurna Base Camp is located inside the Annapurna Conservation Area, both solo and group trekkers are required to take an Individual Permit (ACAP Permit). The cost of ACAP permits is set at Rs 3,000 ($26) for foreigners and Rs 200 for SAARC citizens and another entry permit card is a TIMS card (Trekkers Information Management System). You can collect from anywhere along with a copy of your passport and two PP size photographs.
- Trekking Pants, Warm Dresses, Down Jacket
- Sturdy hiking boots and flip flops
- Headlamps, Cosmetics and Personal Hygiene
- medicine and first aid
- Large duffle bag, items for entertainment such as books, iPods, playing cards, etc.
- Smartphones, personal gadgets, trekking poles or sticks.
Trekking at Annapurna Base Camp is considered to be one of the most amazing experiences which is not only easily accessible but also comparatively cheap and small. If you want to have a different experience in the Annapurna region, one can also opt for the Annapurna Circuit Trek. These treks to be done in Nepal are safe, adventurous and memorable. The rocky landscape and bare hills in the upper part of Annapurna Base Camp look amazing, hence, the trek becomes difficult at higher altitudes. Trekking becomes special with the warm welcome and delicacy of the local people here.
Hiking to the hot spring is excellent in the way of trekking to take a natural hot bath. After reaching Deurali, the trekking continues till Machhapuchhre Base Camp which is surrounded by other mountain ranges then to the final destination Annapurna Base Camp where the Himalayas can be enjoyed. Therefore, it can be said that Annapurna Base Camp Trek Nepal is a wonderful experience in one’s life.